Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fly Away Butterflies

For the past few weeks, we've been raising Painted Lady butterflies. It's been an adventure watching them transform. The kids got a big laugh when the caterpillar heads fell off as they turned into chrysalis. Ugh. Our butterflies even visited preschool where they were treated very gently by Andrew and his classmates. But the time has come for them to fly so today we'll be releasing them to go and be free.

And speaking of butterflies and being free, my Andrew must have thought he was a butterfly yesterday. We were leaving my Mom's group and as I turned to collect his belongings, he bolted down the long winding hall to the entrance way and out the door. I didn't realize he'd left the building, I never thought he would go that far alone and spent the next minutes (seemed like forever) frantically looking for him. One of the other moms happened to spot him outside happily jumping in puddles with his bright green frog boots. Free as a butterfly he was. Enjoy your day, be free and fly.

2 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

Lovely photo!
That Andrew is having quite a week, isn't he! I don't miss the "excitement" of that age a whole lot, I have to tell you.

Carol said...

What a fun post. Andrew knows how to have fun. Maybe we should take a lesson from the butterfly and Andrew.